Travel // Celebrating Songkran Thai New Year

16:55

Hey guys so the beginning of the week was a hella lot of fun and I thought I'd put together a little post sharing with you guys my Songkran experience.

Songkran 2015 Koh Samui Thailand / Travel / Kirsty Wears Blog
Songkran Thai New Year // Koh Samui // Travel // KWB

The 13th to 15th of April sees Thailand come together and celebrate their Buddhist New Year, Songkran. Songkran normally continues over a couple of days, however in some parts of Thailand it can last up to a week - here is Koh Samui it lasts 2 days. With the tradition of water pouring to symbol cleansing of all sins and bad, the first day of Songkran involves washing the buddha and praying for the local Thai people. But then the second day involves a LOT of water and a LOT of fun for everyone.

Songkran Thai New Year // Koh Samui // Travel // KWB
Songkran Thai New Year // Koh Samui // Travel // KWB

From my pictures you can just see how much fun everyone is having and I feel very lucky that I was able to take part and experience Songkran and celebrate the Thai New Year. Literally an experience I will never forget, and is most definitely up there with my top 5 moments here in Thailand. I have never laughed, squealed, smiled or been so dripping wet before in my life in fact I have never been in such a big water fight before in my life. Lasting all day and all night, beginning with a water festival that takes place on the main high street with everyone involved water pistols, buckets, music everything include in a water fight but a 100x more and bigger. Then the evening ended with humungous foam party and more water than ever before.

Songkran Thai New Year // Koh Samui // Travel // KWB
Songkran Thai New Year // Koh Samui // Travel // KWB

The more I think about my time here in Thailand, the more I feel sad about leaving it is such a wonderful place and I truly do believe it is the land of smiles. Thailand is the real Neverland, here no one grows up and everyone just has a ridiculous amount of FUN all the time. Seriously I have never experienced anything like it, Thailand is an amazing place.

I 100% recommend anyone who is thinking of visiting thailand to consider coming for the Thai New Year you will have soooo much fun and will never experience anything like it any where else. I am already planning on coming back next April to celebrate it all over again! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments