Travel With Me // 10 Favourite Places To Eat on Koh Samui Island

16:35

I hope you're not hungry, if so I will apologise now because this post is a droller. Following my mini Samui island guide I thought I would put together all my favourite places to eat on the island, in the hope that some of you visit Samui may find this useful. All the below restaurants were discovered through exploring, you could go on trip ad-visor I guess and find the most popular on there. But being here a year you discover some hidden gems along the way, so here it goes ranging from both Thai food and Western food (aka everything not Thai). Enjoy.

It only seems right to start off with my most favourite place to eat and that is Fareeda's Thai Food restaurant. A little 8 table restaurant serving the most delicious Thai food I have ever tasted, all freshly prepared and cooked by the lovely Fareeda herself. Yup just Fareeda and her Husband Nassan run the restaurant with Fareeda doing all the cooking. I think I have eaten there almost everyday for the last 6 months and am still not bored of the menu, my god everything is so delicious and tasty I think I could live off it forever.


My Fareeda favourites are Chicken Massaman, Chicken Chili Fried Rice, Curried Beef and Garlic and Onion Seafood. All less that 100thb (£2) which just makes it even more a dream. Fareeda's restaurant to located next door to Yodyut Muay Thai Gym - so of course whilst James trains, I eat aha win win if you ask me! The closet town is Choeng Mon however Chaweng and Bo Phut are not far. I would 100% make the journey every day if I had to.


In the heart of Chaweng Ninja Crepes is waiting with a cue of 10 people lined up outside awaiting their tasty foods. With a huge menu full of different varieties of Thai food, from seafood, curries, soups and noodles Ninja Crepes is a sure favourite for all travellers visiting the island. A basic restaurant with plastic tables and chairs, and all chefs preparing the food in an open kitchen amongst the diners giving a great atmosphere. Ninja's being extremely popular and can get very busy we have experienced cues outside around 7:30pm onwards, however during lunch time and early evening around 6pm you can almost get a table straight away.

Ninja Crepes Thai Food Koh Samui / Travel / Kirsty Wears Blog

My favourite Ninja dishes are Pumpkin Curry, Deep Fried Squid, Breaded Calamari, Tom Yam Soup, Deep Fried Ice-cream (my god which is a MUST) and Chicken with Cashew Nut. The list could go on to be honest the menu is so big. 


This is a restaurant James and I normally head to for lunch, as it is just a walk from our apartment. Based in Choeng Mon this little treasure is tucked away a side road (near the 7/11 past the petrol garage , if your looking). It is very popular and normally get quite busy around 1pm lunch time with people ordering their set menu options which give you lots of dishes to try.


Normally I go for 'Over Rice' option which is only 50thb (£1) can you believe, and it gives you a dish of your choice over a portion of rice. My favourites are Sweet Chili Chicken - on rice, Chicken Curry, Penang Chicken curry, Morning Glory, Kale and Pork with Oyster Sauce. This is not even including side aha favourite sides include Crab Cakes, Spring Rolls and Chicken Satay - THE BEST chicken satay I have had on the whole island can I just point out. It is just all so delicious.


We used to go to this restaurant all the time, when we lived in Chaweng as is was just a quick mo-ped journey. I probably would say this is more of one of James' favourite restaurant than mine, but only because I didn't really have a fav dish of theirs. However their Chicken Panang was really good, and I did like their Chicken n Cashew Nut. Also they did a good Spaghetti Carbonara (aha for those I miss home days), oh I almost forgot (how could I forget) DEEP FRIED BANANA for desert with chocolate sauce, do I need to say anymore… aha.


James would recommend the Spicy Chicken Salad, Deep Fried Vegetables and he also really liked the Chicken Fried Rice. This restaurant has a really good menu though and has a lot of Thai and western foods to choose from so you will definitely find something that tickles your fancy.


The food court is a food market that is on everyday from 3pm located in heart of Chaweng, on Chaweng Walking Street. It is a great place to try a bit of everything as there is so much to offer, from fresh fish to meat, papaya salads and even pancakes. I love to eat here when I'm not sure on what I fancy for dinner as you can walk up and down all the kitchens having a nosey on whats to offer.

I would definitely recommend trying it out if planning to visit Samui as it is a great holiday ambiance and sometimes on the odd day there is quite a big market from gifts and counterfeit goods too. So you can buy all the foods and all the gifts in one place, win win!!

My food court recommendations would be BBQ Corn (yum), the BBQ meat is delicious, curried pies, shrimps, papaya salad (which is really spicy). Oh and if your not feeling Thai food or BBQ food, they have a great burritos and gyro stand.


Ok, so my first non Thai restaurant on list is Gringos Cantina Mexican food at it's finest. This place is literally like carb heaven and such a treat when you've had enough of rice and Thai spice. James and I have been here a handful of times now and leave feeling very stuffed with happy bellies.

So what to have, well it being Mexican Fajitas are a must. James' favourite is a curried lamb burrito which comes with peanuts, chutney and a hella' amount of melted cheese SO GOOD! I have also had the pulled pork burritos (which are only on a Thursday, to my disappointment) which are delicious. Homemade chilli is a winner and also the ribs and chicken options are pretty tasty too. Told you we've been there a handful of (maybe two) times.


Scandic is again another restaurant we spent a lot of evening at when we lived in Chaweng town. Serving both Thai and Swedish food like Swedish Meatballs and Mash, Stroganoff and Pan Beef. Even though this is classes as 'western' food here the Thai food is actually surprising really delicious, with classic dishes like Thai Green Curry and Chicken Panang.


Recommendations from Scandic's menu, Mexican Spring rolls (not very Swedish or Thai I know but they are extremely delicious), Scandic Burger, Meatballs, they also make a pretty good pizza. Ok so Thai options = all of it, especially Chicken and Cashew Nut and Chicken Panang Curry.

Sorry for the lack of images for Scandic, it has been a while since we went and never really took many food photos at the begin of this trip. However check their website out because they have lots of info and picture of their dishes on there.


6 words; Brazilian BBQ All You Can Eat!!!! That is all there is to say to win you over really, well that is all it took for me. We have been twice to Zicos and both times have left with the biggest food baby in history, seriously this restaurant is a must.
Each table is tokened with a Zicos stop and start token (red and green), you turn to green when you want to eat and you turn to red when you need a break. Whilst green the BBQ keeps on coming form fresh fish to fresh meat skewers and skewers of deliciousness arriving at your table. With three big buffet tables serving salad, side dishes and of course deserts (James' favourite) you can wine and dine all night long. With the entertainment from two ridiculously sassy Brazilian dancers that preform for half an hour every hour from 8 to 10 it is an evening to remember and one I would definitely recommend on the island.


James and I went her for a pre Christmas celebration courtesy of my lovely Uncle who paid for us to have a extra lovely evening and dinner out, (thanks Unc). We had the best time drinking endless cocktails and eating to our hearts content.


The Red Snapper restaurant was a recent discovery for my belated birthday dinner whilst my little sister was here to visit. At first we was drawn to the restaurant because it had a live band playing and had a sign for Mediterranean Tapas (which is a favourite type of food of mine). It turns out it is quite a fine dining restaurant with a gorgeous, Michelin style menu.


The food was to die for it was honestly the most delicious food I have had in a while (apart from Fareeda's Thai food of course). With a starter of Tapas buffet where you can help yourself to mini spoons of fresh fish and meat, along with salad and vegetables. To a main course that was just as amazing to look at as it was to eat, I opted for the Red Snapper with a Ravioli stuffed with crab, prawn and asparagus. It was so good I could cry. My sister went for the seafood spaghetti which looked just as delicious with the biggest muscles we have ever seen. Washed down with a generous glass on vino and serenaded by the coolest little band singing Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift what's not to love. But don't let me stop there we haven't reached dessert yet and dessert was the icing on the cake, everyone on the table opted for the same as it sounded too good to be true… After Eight Ice-cream with Mango Cheesecake. Did you not just pass out. Honestly the most delicious desert I have ever had just look at the picture above, my ice-cream came in a jar, a jar. That there is a winner in itself.


Ok, so last but not least Vikasa. Vikasa was where James and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary together, looking for something a little different to eat and a change of scenery we head for the mountains and came across Vikasa. Originally a yoga resort, but with a restaurant aside, offering a unique and health style of cuisine.
Probably the healthiest food I have eaten on the island with such a unique taste, it was definitely a refreshing change. It kind of made me feel like I should do some yoga too.. but I didn't get that far aha. We shared starters of Tomatoes filled with delicious Feta and Chinese style Dumplings filled with beetroot cashew mince, wrapped in soft chewy rice paper. Then for main we had Sea Bass (i think it was) or the fish of the day (that day) with a spicy rice and Thai style sauce. It was all very delicious and clean, we felt pretty good afterwards although we probably went and treated ourselves with naughty biscuits and cakes for 7/11 afterwards. It was our anniversary after all. 

----------------------------------------

So that is all guys from me and all my favourite places to eat in Koh Samui. There are a lot of them I know, what can I say I love my food. I hope this didn't make you too hungry, and I hope you enjoyed this post. I have really enjoyed putting together all my travel and Thailand post whilst being here, and I hope it is something I can continue on doing so in the future. Only one more post to go.. before home time, I cannot believe it is almost over :(

You Might Also Like

0 comments